RAJMA (KIDNEY BEANS)
- Rajma (Kidney Beans)-1 cup
- Tomatoes puree form-4
- Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder (dhania powder)-1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (hing)-a pinch
- Cumin seeds (jeera)-1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger (grated)-1 inch
- Garam masala powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Green chillies sliced-1
- Oil- tablespoon
- Salt-2 teaspoons
- Water-4 cups
- In a pressure cooker, add water, rajma, 1 teaspoon salt & half of the turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook rajma for the time as required by your respective pressure cooker. In my case, i used Hawkins Futura which took approximately 50 minutes on a low flame.
- In the meantime, prepare tadka for the rajma.
- Heat oil in a pan, add asafoetida (hing) & as it starts to splutter, add cumin seeds (jeera) & as they splutter, add the grated ginger.
- As the ginger turns golden brown, add tomatoes & green chillies to the mixture.
- Add turmeric powder & coriander powder (dhania powder) & as the mixture starts leaving oil, add 1 teaspoon salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder & mix well.
- As the mixture leaves oil, add it to the rajma that you have boiled in the pressure cooker.
- Cook them well for around 10-15 minutes, as a good gravy is formed.
- Rajma are ready to serve.
*You can add amchoor (mango powder) as per taste but i don't prefer adding it as the sourness of the tomatoes is enough for the rajma & if we add amchoor, it willl make rajma sour.